Monday, June 16, 2008

Brief retraction

A while back, I posted that I didn't much like the new Magnetic Fields album "Distortion;" in fact, I think I called it a "crushing disappointment." I'd like to take that sentiment back at least partially and allow for one exception: "California Girls," which is a completely awesome, bitter, evil little song with a nasty black heart.

Here's a fantastic acoustic version of it that eliminates the nasty shrill feedback which made me strongly dislike the album. Lyrics fully audible. Yay.



"They come on like squares and get off like squirrels, I hate California girls."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are, as you know, exceptions to this rule. And I for one still wish they could all be California girls.

Jon Hunt said...

Naturally there are exceptions -- your own lovely girl for one! I just like any song that unrepentantly mean-spirited on principal!

Anonymous said...

my favorite in this regard is david crosby's "what are there names?"

Jon Hunt said...

This from a guy who also had an album called "If I Could Remember My Name!!" SYMPTOM OF POT CONSUMPTION: forgetfulness!

Prince Gomolvilas said...

Listen to it AGAIN. And then AGAIN. LOVE IT!